Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Packing Tips and Tricks

When it comes to packing for the cruise I'm pretty set in my ways.  Over the years, through trial and error, I've learned, what works and doesn't work for me. 

Cruise ship cabins are notoriously small.  Some have more storage space than others.  Generally, when cruising Princess, I know exactly what to expect and am able to pack accordingly.  Here are some of the things that I've found make my life easier when living in a cruise ship cabin.

Over the door shoe rack



These are great for storing just about anything...medicines, hair accessories, blow dryer, curling iron, makeup, jewelry...I don't know, shoes?  The fact is, on a 14 night cruise, sweet mamma and I bring a LOT.  This helps us keep surfaces in the cabin clean and actually be able to find what we are looking for!  Last February, on our MSC cruise, the cabin has NO storage space.  Closets were small, and there were only two drawers in the cabin.  This was a LIFESAVER!

Plastic Bins from the Dollar Tree



These are another organizational favorite.  Perfect for small items - makeup, jewelry, hair ties, charging cords, etc...they are perfect on top of the desk or inside the drawer to keep things nicely organized.  And at 3 for $1, you can't go wrong

Magnetic Hooks



Did you know that the walls of the cruise cabin are magnetic?  Yes, they are. And magnets are a MUST.  Sweet mamma is partial to these hooks (you can get them on Amazon). You can hang just about anything - Robe, nightgown, washcloth, hair towel, purse, belt, jacket, sweater.  They are also a GREAT way to hang up long necklaces. They are super useful.

Magnetic Clips



For myself, I'm partial to the magnetic clips (also found on Amazon.com).  They come in handy to hang up the MOUNDS of paperwork you receive on a daily basis.  Again, they help keep table tops clear of clutter.

Over the counter medications.  I call cruise ships floating Petri dishes.  In fact, the last three cruises I've taken I've ended up with an upper respiratory infection.  Therefore, I always bring DayQuil, NyQuil, Advil, Benedryl, nasal spray, cough drops and Musinex.  Purchasing any of these everyday items on-board is expensive.  And it doesn't take up much space so I'll go with better safe than sorry! And for this cruise I've packed a package of anti-bacterial wipes.  I'm wiping down each and every single surface in both the hotel and our cruise ship cabin in hopes of keeping any upper respiratory infection as far away as possible! Last but not least, don't forget to bring your own pocket hand sanitizer!!!

A big "can't live without or I may die" item in a simple 3 way plug (without surge protection)



A cruise ship cabin normally has one (count them, ONE) outlet that you can use.  Nowadays, with all of the electronics we are tied to, this doesn't work.  The simple three way plug allows me to charge multiple devices and use my flat iron.  THIS makes my life a lot easier! I've have read countless stories on different forums about people having extension cords with surge protectors taken out of their luggage.  I've never once had this simple plug confiscated.  

My final items to discuss is my packing cubes.  OMG...I LOVE these little puppies! Talk about organization at it's finest! These make me SO happy!



These make unpacking a breeze!  Pack pants in one, long sleeved shirts in another, tshirts in another. Whatever floats your boat...when you unpack them you have everything SO organized.  Check them out on either Ebags or Amazon.  Trust me, you will LOVE these!

Now, if I could figure out how to bring less of everything I’ll be golden. Until then, I’ll pray this suitcase weighs under 50 pounds!

So this just happened...


Now I’m doing a REALLY big happy dance πŸ’ƒπŸΌ πŸ’ƒπŸΌπŸ’ƒπŸΌ

Sweet mamma and I snagged Economy Plus seats earlier this week. When I checked in this afternoon, United offered to upgrade me to Business Class for the low, low price of $829...oh, how I wish I didn’t have two kids in college and wasn’t paying rent on TWO apartments that I don’t live in...

I’m in boarding group 4 for both flights. In other words, after all of the Executive Platinum Plus, Platinum plus, Executive  Golden Plus, Golden, Executive Silver Plus, Silver Plus, Glitter Plus, Executive Ruby Sparkle Glitter...who am I kidding? I am not even LEAD. It will be awhile before I board!

BUT...this week was my sweet mamma’s BFF’s birthday. And sweet mamma made her BFF a RED VELVET cake for her birthday. And sweet mamma “may” have saved me a slice that just “may” meet me in Newark. Now THAT will be better than early boarding!

Getting the nails all pretty and will head home to finish packing. Working from home in the morning and my ride picks me up shortly before noon. Barcelona or BUST!!! 

Thanks for coming along!